1. Prepare yourself for “aha” moments
You get to validate a lot of ideas & strategies you already used or plan to. Someone tried them and is here to tell the story of how it all went.
2. It’s an honest, no bulls**t account of the public speakers’ world
3. It’s down to the dollars a public speaker can make
Moreover, it teaches you how to sell yourself. At least by the time you get famous and have an…agent. Yes, public speakers in high demand have an agent. Like Hollywood stars.
4. It’s all real life experience
Berkun offers specific examples and recommendations as they resulted from the author endeavors on many stages and countless speeches delivered all over the world.
5. It’s a courageous account of what could go wrong and what to do about it
How do you to handle difficult & unexpected situations? Speaking for a handful of people in a 2,000 seats hall – you’ll need a (backup) plan.
My copy looks like it’s coming back from the battlefield – book corners folded, countless notes on all white space available. And some coffee stains, I’ll admit. It’s a case of a book turned manual and I just realized that I’d better get the Kindle version, too. No chance to leave it behind when changing bags.